UN - SANCTIONS - IRAQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >
> LONDON, September 15 (Xinhua) -- Britain said Wednesday that
> > representatives of the five permanent members of the United
> > Nations Security Council made progress in talks held here to find
> > ways to ease sanctions on Iraq.
> >    "The permanent five political directors had a useful and
> > constructive discussion on outstanding issues on Iraq," a
> > spokesman of the British Foreign Office told reporters.
> >    The spokesman said ambassadors and other officials from China,
> > Britain, France, Russia and the United States, the five permanent
> > members of the Security Council of the U.N., would meet in New
> > York later this week and early next week.
> >    "Progress was made but eventual success is not certain," a
> > Reuters report quoted the spokesman as saying.
> >    "There is no guarantee this will be achieved, but we must
> > explore the possibilities to create a united Security Council
> > position to put pressure on Iraq to meet its international
> > obligations," he added.
> >    The report said the meeting had achieved "some steps forward."
> >    All five representatives stated they wanted to reach a
> > consensus on Iraq and suspend some of the trade sanctions in place
> > since the 1990-91 Gulf War, the report said.  End item.

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***