From: Diaa el Radwa Hadid <s3066141@student.anu.edu.au>
Sent: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:25:44 +1000
To: soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk
Subject: Arab groups opposing sanctions, are there any?

> ----------
> From: Diaa el Radwa Hadid[SMTP:S3066141@STUDENT.ANU.EDU.AU]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 6:25:44 AM
> To: soc-casi-discuss@lists.cam.ac.uk
> Subject: Arab groups opposing sanctions, are there any?
> Auto forwarded by a Rule

May I just open the floor to discussion about something which I've been
thinking about for a while?

I've noticed that alot of efforts in the UK, the US, and even in Australia,
don't have much 'Arab input'- from the Middle East (rather than emigres and
those of Arab origion in the 'West').

Perhaps I am thinking on feminist lines here-

Whilst it is wonderful to see the crisis in Iraq treated in a humanitarian,
rather than an ethnic context, I think that Arab involvement may be
necessary in order to remove the stigma that efforts are somehow tainted
with 'humanist imperialism' because Arabs in the Middle East are only
involved as victims.

In that regard, I have two questions:

Are there any credible Middle-Eastern based groups opposing the sanctions,
and if so, would it be appropriate to forge links with them?

Regarding in the views I have given above, they may be completely
mis-informed, and I hope others on this list will constructively criticse
and educate myself and others.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Diaa

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***

---- End Original Message ----

Get Your Free E-mail and Homepage at http://www.prontomail.com -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq. To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list *** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***