Pope's visit to Iraq

3 News Items on the Pope's Visit to Iraq in December.

We must take advantage of this trip by increasing our contact w/ the
Churches and our outreach with the media.

Please share your thoughts.
-------

(1)Pope of Vatican to Iraq on December (by ArabicNews.Com; Iraq, Politics,
August 28)
(2)U.S. Concerned About Pope's Possible Trip To Iraq (by Reuters, August 28)
(3) Aziz Calls For Military Halt For Pope Trip (by Reuters, August 27)

==================
(1)

Pope of Vatican to Iraq on December

ArabicNews.Com; Iraq, Politics, 8/28/99

The patriarch of the Catholic Keldans, Rapheal Bedawid, which has Baghdad
as a main headquarters, announced that Pope John Paul II will pay a 48-hour
visit to Iraq between the second and fifth of next December.

Diplomatic sources in Jordanian capital Amman said in press declarations
that the visit of the Pope - which will be witnessed by the whole world -
will form a victory and support for the Iraqi President Saddam Hussein that
the latter did not look for before.

Sources added that the meeting of the Pope with the Iraqi president will be
as "forgiveness for Saddam and a shock for the USA" that seeks to try
Hussein as a war criminal, thus the visit will be an important obvious
message from the Pope to the whole world, while "Saddam" will consider it
as an important and diplomatic victory.

The Pope has called several times for uplifting the sanctions imposed on
Iraq since 1990.

=========
(2)

U.S. Concerned About Pope's Possible Trip To Iraq

(Saturday August 28 3:02 AM ET)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The State Department said Friday the Vatican should
consider the political implications of a possible visit by Pope John Paul
II to Iraq to celebrate the millennium.

``We have expressed our concerns in diplomatic channels because of the
likelihood the regime in Iraq would attempt to manipulate the visit for
political purposes,'' said State Department spokesman James Foley.

``We have urged the Vatican to take this reality into account,'' the
spokesman added.

Raphael Bidawid, Iraqi patriarch of the Eastern Chaldean church, told
Reuters during a visit to Beirut the Vatican and the Iraqi government were
discussing a proposed papal trip.

``We believe the visit will occur in the first week of December but the
exact date and time have yet to be set. This issue is currently under
discussion but the visit will certainly take place before 2000,'' Bidawid
said.

The pope said in a document in June that he wanted to visit Iraq, Egypt,
Syria, Greece and Holy Land sites ruled by Israel and the Palestinian
Authority for millennium celebrations.

Foley said the United States understood and sympathized with the pope's
desire to make the pilgrimage.

``At the same time Iraq remains a brutal dictatorship where torture and
summary execution are commonplace and people are denied the most
fundamental human rights,'' he said.

The United States led the alliance against Iraq in the Gulf War of 1991 and
supports Iraqi opposition groups that want to overthrow President Saddam
Hussein.

==========
(3)

Aziz Calls For Military Halt For Pope Trip

By Philip Pullella

Friday August 27 12:41 PM ET
ROME (Reuters) - Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tareq Aziz said in an
interview issued Friday that the United States and Britain should stop
military operations over Iraq at least during Pope John Paul's expected
visit this year.

The pope, who is expected to meet Iraqi President Saddam Hussein during the
trip possibly in December, wants to visit Ur, the ancient city of
Mesopotamia where the Old Testament patriarch Abraham was born.

Aziz, a Christian, spoke in a taped interview to members of a Catholic
conference on the same day that Iraq's Catholic patriarch said the pope
might visit in the first week of December.

``If the Americans and the English are real Christians, as they profess to
be, they should not carry out any act of aggression against Iraq,'' he said.

U.S. and British planes have been patrolling no-fly zones in southern and
northern Iraq and have bombed some Iraqi targets in response to Iraqi
anti-aircraft guns.

Iraq, which was driven out of Kuwait in 1991 by international forces after
invading its neighbor, does not recognize the no-fly zones.

``They should never do it, but above all they should not do it when a
religious personality like the Holy Father will travel to Iraq,'' Aziz said
in the interview. A text of the interview was made available to
participants at the conference.

Aziz originally had been due to attend the conference but later changed
plans.

Raphael Bidawid, Iraqi patriarch of the Eastern Chaldean church, told
Reuters during a visit to Beirut the Vatican and the Iraqi government were
discussing a proposed papal trip.

``We believe the visit will occur in the first week of December but the
exact date and time have yet to be set. This issue is currently under
discussion but the visit will certainly take place before 2000,'' Bidawid
said.

Vatican sources have said the Holy See was planning to have initial
contacts with Western military authorities and the United Nations to notify
them that the pope may fly into a country that was the subject of military
operations.

U.S. and British warplanes have regularly bombed surface-to-air missile and
radar sites in the no-fly zones, which were set up by the West to protect
minorities from attack by Saddam.

Aziz also said his government had no fears for the pope's security while in
Iraq. ``Obviously we are responsible for the security of our guests. I
think that Iraq is a safe country. If the pope decides to make a visit to
Iraq, he will not have to fear for his safety,'' Aziz said.

There are roughly one million Christians in Iraq, some 80 percent belonging
to the Eastern Chaldean rite and the remaining 20 percent to the Roman
Catholic Church.

The ailing John Paul, 79, has repeatedly said he wants to retrace the main
events of the Old Testament as part of celebrations to herald
Christianity's third millennium.

The pope said in a document in June that he wanted to visit Iraq, Egypt,
Syria, Greece and Holy Land sites ruled by Israel and the Palestinian
Authority for millennium celebrations.

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***