Re: Ireland joins campaign

Dear Richard and others,

You distinguish between the Irish and the British public in your second
paragraph below.  I'd like to point out that the Celtic peoples in general
have a completely different point of view (Weltanschauung) to social and
political issues than the English. I am native Welsh, and my upbringing
and knowledge about the Irish situation, as well as the Middle East, has
always been very different than my English counterparts. This is
notwithstanding the same exposure to media propoganda.  Some cultures in
Britain seem to be able to recognise essentially English establishment (or
Oxbridge) views and to maintain a critical attitude in relation to them.

This does not mean, however, that we have as yet worked out a constructive
and innovative social and political strategy to offset the English status
quo. We need to do this, and together with people of goodwill who are
themselves "English". I was proud to be with such people, and many other
cultural groups, at the vigil outside Cambridge Guildhall on August 6th to
mourn the 9th anniversary of sanctions against the Iraqi peoples.

The Irish Government and people also have the respected advantage of
having worked hard to attain a highly respected position in the European
Community. The English, meanwhile, have remained caught up in US
antagonism to a united and democratic Europe. As Europeans, we will have
to work long and hard to develop and maintain our putative European
Project. And the militaristic English establishment will have to decide to
commit to this, or to remain a distant satellite of the US.

Vicky Russell