Does DU cause Gulf War Syndrome?

The causes of Gulf War Syndrome are mysterious; candidates are
shell-shock, anti-nerve agents, DDT used for head-lice, chemical weapons
tests in the desert.  And there's depleted uranium.  But DU is NOT
particularly toxic. The Express article is based on ONE mass spectrometry
report, showing that one veteran "is still passing 60 per cent DU in his
urine. "  Is his urine a 60% solution of uranium salt? Not likely.  Or
maybe the radioactivity has been depleted to 60% of its normal level, but
this doesn't tell us HOW MUCH uranium is present. It might be tiny amounts
- mass spectrometry is extremely sensitive.

> new evidence emerged proving that British soldiers suffered massive
>radiation poisoning during the Gulf War.

Posioning is just what the results DON'T prove.  One veteran has DU traces
in his urine. The government will argue that the DU is present in a
soluble form, and that it's being excreted in the normal way.  It takes
other kinds of evidence to show that the veterans' symptoms are *caused*
by DU. I have dioxin in my body fat, but my migraines have other causes.

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***