UK Amnesty members - URGENT

The Amnesty International Council Meeting is to be held in less than 2 weeks
time, in Portugal (changed at the last minute from Morocco).

There are NINE UK delegates to the ICM.

Personally I think it would be a great help for all AI members opposed to
sanctions to write to these delegates and try to persuade them to allow
Amnesty to at least take a position on *human rights abuses arising from
economic sanctions*.

At the ICM this would mean them supporting the Tunisian and/or Irish motions
currently before the ICM. (see previous postings on this list under
'AMNESTY'S SILENCE'.

Those delegates names:

Peter Pack
David Bull
Fiona Weir
Jane Oberman
Clive Romain
Andy McEntee
Liz Robertson
Amahl Smith
Jackie Parker.

Easiest to send letters to them via AI UK at

Amnesty International UK
99-119 Rosebery Avenue
London
EC1 4RE

As members of this list may remember, a motion at this year's UK AGM to
support the Tunisian and Irish proposals was narrowly defeated, with the
board voting against.

A colleague of mine has more recently had correspondence with Peter Pack on
this issue, and his line appears to still be something like 'we're
sympathetic but its not an issue we can deal with'.

I think the line we need to take is that to take a position on human rights
abuses that result from economic sanctions does not necessarily restrict
AI's work, or force it to take a stance regardless of the circumstances.

One of PP's points is that sanctions are a very difficult area when it comes
to pinning down the 'cause' of any abuses that may arise (he quotes Max Van
der Stoel who places blame on the Iraqi authorities for creating delays that
lead to suffering).

However, IF A GIVEN SITUATION IS PARTICULARLY DIFFICULT, THEN AMNESTY IS NOT
OBLIGED TO TAKE A POSITION.

If the evidence is inconclusive then there is nothing to say AI must take a
position.

But when there is CLEAR CONSISTENT EVIDENCE, then it HARMS Amnesty
tremendously to say nothing.

The Pinochet case is 'difficult'. Were Amnesty to remain silent on this
matter for that reason, we would be justifiably disgusted, and the
organisation would lose credibility with almost everyone who currently
supports it.

When writing to these people (who are all honest and decent people as far as
I know) I think arguing about the weight of evidence in the case of Iraq
(Annan, Halliday, Sponeck etc) may help a little, but it is not really the
point they will be looking for.

AI need a general rule they can work to, applicable to all countries.

The point of raising Iraq as an example is to stress the URGENCY of the
matter - decide something NOW, not at the mandate review in 2001, when
countless thousands more would have died needlessly.

 * RESOURCES is another sticking point.

It is sometimes argued that AI doesn't have the resources to investigatre
such matters thoroughly. Well, Amnesty is not permitted access to China, but
bases its reports there on accounts from secondary sources and reliable
organisations. It can easily do that in the case of Iraq, with little more
resources than a good computer and a phone.

If the information isn't available, then Amnesty is still not committed to
take a position and nothing is lost. But if it IS there, then to be silent
is to make Amnesty look embarrasingly selective in whose human rights abuses
it seeks to expose.

 * Another argument from those opposed: if AI takes on this issue, then why
shouldn't it take on other political/ public health issues like
unemployment? Provision of health care?

I think the answer to this is: INTENT.

It is difficult to show that when a state takes on, for example, neo-liberal
economics it is INTENDING to create an underclass or to depress wages and
working conditions in order to promote the wealth of the few. It is also
arguable that much of such policy making is beyond the control of
politicians or individual states.

However, when you have a country like Iraq that you have bombed until their
public infrastructure is crippled, and their access to food and clean
drinking water is dramatically reduced, you KNOW that thousands will die
unless the world allows them to repair the very things they need to survive.
Iraqi people NEED to be able to buy antiseptics and needles, and to replace
the equipment we destroyed: air conditioning units, communication equipment,
spare parts for water sanitisation plants and pipe systems, electrical power
stations upon which countless other life saving devices rely.

DENY OR RESTRICTING THESE THINGS TO PEOPLE WHO NEED THEM TO SURVIVE IS A
DELIBERATE ACT WITH CLEAR AND FORSEEABLE CONSEQUENCES.

As people with anything resembling moral values, we have to be responsible
for the predictable consequences of our actions. The consequences in this
case are that thousands of blameless people will die.

If there are mitigating circumstances -  for instance if we were at war -
then Amnesty does not have to ignore that. BUT IF THE CIRCUMSTANCES AND
EVIDENCE CLEARLY SHOW THAT PEOPLE ARE BEING DELIBERATELY SUBJECTED TO LIFE
THREATENING CONDITIONS FOR NO GOOD REASON, AMNESTY'S SILENCE DISCREDITS IT
AS AN ORGANISATION.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WRITE TO THESE PEOPLE.

Most of us know that when we explain this whole mess to people clearly and
with supporting evidence, 90% come around eventually.

I think it is extremely important that we convince this particular bunch of
good people.

Thanks,

Glenn Bassett, using kcnl@globalnet.co.uk

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***