Re: SC 687

Dear Andrew, All

I think the long quote from Sarah Graham-Brown clarifies matters. I'm sorry
I was not clear enough in my original contribution.

<1>IMPORT/EXPORT

Briefly, I read the resolution in this way:

IRAQI IMPORT SIDE OF SANCTIONS
Para 20: Imposes ban on exporting to Iraq, ie Iraqi imports (with
'humanitarian' exemptions)
Para 21: Makes lifting of ban on exporting to Iraq conditional on 'the
policies and practices of the Government of Iraq, including the
implementation of all relevant resolutions of the Security Council'.

IRAQI EXPORT SIDE OF SANCTIONS
Para 22: Makes lifting of ban on Iraqi exports conditional on disarmament in
the four areas (nuclear, biological, chemical, long-range missiles).

Andrew suggested that 'There is no (explicit) mention of the other half of
the sanctions' i.e. Iraqi imports, in the resolution. But that is precisely
what is dealt with in Para 20:

'Decides, effective immediately, that the prohibitions against the sale or
supply to Iraq of commodities or products other than medicine and health
supplies... shall not apply to foodstuffs notified to the Committee
established by resolution 661'.

As I said last time, strictly speaking this Decision sets out an _exemption_
from the import ban, and is not an explicit _continuation_ of the import
ban, but the operational meaning is clear: exporting to Iraq is to continue
to be prohibited, with this new exception.

<2>PARA 19

What I said in relation to the Compensation Fund was that Iraqi payments to
the CF are not a condition of the lifting of the oil embargo. Para 19 does
not involve actual payments, it just sets up the machinery of the CF, and
setting up mechanisms for ensuring Iraqi payments.

So half the sanctions could be lifted once the CF was set up, but the other
half (the ban on imports by Iraq) would not be lifted until later, and no
doubt Iraqi payments to the CF would be one of the policies and practices
relevant to the decision to end the import ban.

<3>LASTLY