Re: Speech by Derek Fatchett on Humanitarian Situation in Iraq

I believe that problems/criticisms of the distribution system have only come
up in the past 9 months or so.  I've heard that the WHO recommended
stockpiling goods in a report of June '98 to solve the problems of irregular
deliveries, delays, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is the utterly fraudulent treatment
governments give these reports.  They are very quick to cite passages about
warehouses overflowing with medical goods and delays (by the Iraqi
government) in ordering protein biscuits and fortified milk.  What they'll
never say is that if Iraq were hoarding its humanitarian goods for the
military, the program would be undermined and discontinued.  We are in phase
V of a very tightly monitored oil-for-food deal which has involved problems
and criticisms on both sides, but cancellation of this program has never
been under serious question.  What they'll never say is that military
attacks, poor staffing, lack of computers for inventory, shortage of
vehicles...are genuinely and significantly contributing to distribution
problems.  True, the UN seems to be doing a better job in the North.  But I
think it is rather insulting for Iraq to hear +ACI-hey listen: you could be
doing a better job by doing this and this and this...+ACI-, though certainly
concerns about the effectiveness of the implementation are valid.  The
question then becomes: Is this worth it?  Is the battle for the
effectiveness of an inadequate emergency program undermining the ultimate
goal of once again allowing Iraqis some normalcy?  At what point does the
struggle for the most effective oil-for-food deal resign us to the
acceptance of an on-going humanitarian problems in Iraq.  We all know what
conclusions Dennis Halliday came to.

The UN is used to these emergencies.  Iraq is used to running its own
economy and social system under more normal conditions.  We should also
consider the brain-drain they've experienced and the lack of resources to
make up for it by training people for the future.  And I bet UN workers
don't have to go home hungry.  How does doing humanitarian work in your own
country - a country that has been seriously economically crippled - affect
your performance?  There are lots of considerations often ignored.

Ultimately, minor bumbling/poor decision-making by Iraqi authorities with
respect to oil-for-food, whether purposeful or not, does not absolve
sanctioners from creating, exacerbating and perpetuating Iraqi suffering.

We must also keep in mind the nature of oil-for-food.  Here's another
passage government officials will never quote.  It comes from the Secretary
General's 2 year report of oil-for-food and is available at
www.un.org/Depts/oip

+AFs-begin excerpt+AF0-

115. This +AFs-oil-for-food+AF0- is a programme established by the Security Council,
under Chapter VII of the Charter, as a temporary measure to provide for the
humanitarian needs of the Iraqi people until fulfilment by Iraq of the
relevant Council resolutions. The programme pursuant to resolution 986
(1995) cannot - and was never meant to - meet all the humanitarian needs of
the Iraqi people, nor can it restore Iraq's economic and social
infrastructure to pre-1990 levels.

116. Regardless of the improvements that may be brought about in the scope
and implementation of the programme - both in terms of approval procedures
and funding levels - the magnitude of the humanitarian needs is such that
they cannot be met within the parameters set in resolution 986 (1995) and
succeeding resolutions, in particular 1153 (1998). The very substantial
degradation of infrastructure and the magnitude of the funds required for
its rehabilitation is far beyond the funding level available under the
programme...

+AFs-End Excerpt+AF0-

Andrew Loucks
The Global Movement to End the War
against Iraq - www.leb.net/globalmewi
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKgAq-
+ACI-Each of us has an instrument to bring to the vast orchestra
of humanity+ACI-   - Jean Vanier