Civilian casualties of allied bombs in Iraq

*       Iraq says two killed in air attack on Monday (BBC Online)
*       UN official visits site of deadly US air strike in Iraq (Agence
France Presse)
*       U.N. cites airstrikes as hinderance to aid delivery in Iraq
(Nando Times)

********************
BBC News Online, Monday, May 3, 1999 Published at 23:10 GMT 00:10 UK
Iraq says two killed in air attack

US say their planes bombed Iraqi missile sites in the northern no-fly
zone. Iraq says two people were killed and another 12 wounded in western
air attacks on Monday.  It said the incident took place in Ninevah
Province, about 400 km (250 miles) north of Baghdad. "One of our civil
sites was attacked today by long-distance guided weapons and the bombing
led to martyrdom of two civilian citizens and the injury of 12 others,"
the Iraqi News Agency INA quoted an Iraqi military spokesman as saying.

A US statement issued earlier in Turkey said US warplanes flying from an
air base in southern Turkey bombed Iraqi missile sites in the northern
no-fly zone on Monday after being fired at. It said all planes left the
area safely.

Earlier, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator in Iraq, Hans Von
Sponeck, expressed concern about the continued British and American
airstrikes. Mr Von Sponeck was speaking after a tour of the town of
Bashiqa in northern Iraq. He also visited the site where a family of
seven, along with 250 of their sheep, were reportedly killed in an
attack by American and British planes.  Mr Von Sponeck said he was
deeply affected by what he saw and added that the airstrikes were
affecting the UN's humanitarian programme in Iraq. Last week, the Iraqi
news agency said 20 people were wounded in a bombing raid by Western
aircraft in the north of the country.

The report came shortly after United States forces based in southern
Turkey announced that their aircraft had carried out attacks near the
northern city of Mosul. The Americans said their planes struck at air
defence sites after being targeted by Iraqi radar and fired on.

Planes from the United States and Britain have been patrolling the skies
over northern and southern Iraq since the Gulf War in 1991 to enforce a
ban on Iraqi aircraft overflying the areas. There have been frequent
attacks since December when Iraq began actively challenging US and
British jets that patrol the no-fly zones to protect Kurds in the north
and Shi'a Muslims in the south from possible attack by Baghdad's forces.

********************
Agence France Presse, May 03, 1999 Iraq-US-UN 13:21 GMT
UN official visits site of deadly US air strike in Iraq

BAGHDAD, May 3 - A senior UN official said Monday he visited the site of
a US air strike in
northern Iraq that killed a shepherd and six members of his family. Hans
von Sponeck, the UN coordinator of humanitarian aid to Iraq, told
reporters he was in northern Iraq and made "a spontaneous decision" to
visit the site on Sunday. "I am extremely sensitive to the effect of
increasing air strikes on the implementation of the humanitarian
programmes" in sanctions-hit Iraq, he said. "We in the UN must not take
lightly events like these which affect human life so, since I was in the
area anyway, I made a  spontaneous decision to make a site visit. I was
deeply affected by what I saw -- the total destruction of a shepherd's
family and all their possessions."

Iraq said the family was killed last Friday when their tent was struck
in a US air strike near the city of Mosul, a day after 20 people were
injured in a raid on Mosul itself. In January, von Sponeck visited a
district of the southern port city of Basra where 17 people were killed
and 100 wounded in missile attacks. The United States said the missiles
strayed off course.

Iraq's ruling Baath party on Monday accused the United States of
deliberately aiming to kill civilians in its almost daily air strikes.
Since an air war in December, the United States and Britain have carried
out regular raids in no-fly zones over northern and southern Iraq, while
Baghdad has pledged to keep challenging the overflights.

In April, at least 18 Iraqis were killed and more than 40 injured in the
allied raids, according to Baghdad.

********************
U.N. cites airstrikes as hinderance to aid delivery in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq (May 3, 1999 9:13 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -
The United Nations is worried that ongoing U.S. and British airstrikes
on Iraq may hamper the delivery and distribution of aid in the country,
the most senior U.N. relief worker in Iraq said Monday.
Hans von Sponeck, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator in Iraq, Sunday
toured Bashiqa, a town
north of Mosul, where a seven-member family along with 250 of their
sheep were killed in an allied air raid Friday.  Von Sponeck also
visited a Mosul neighborhood where at least 14 houses were damaged and
20 people injured in another allied attack on Thursday. Mosul is 250
miles north of Baghdad.  "I was deeply affected by what I saw - the
total destruction of a shepherd's family and all their possessions," Von
Sponeck told reporters Monday. "I am extremely sensitive to the effect
of increasing airstrikes on the implementation of the humanitarian
programs in Iraq." Von Sponeck noted that the United Nations should not
"take lightly events like these, which affect human life."

U.S. and British warplanes enforce two no-fly zones in Iraq. The
northern zone guards rebel
Iraqi Kurds from attacks by Iraqi armed forces. The southern zone bars
Iraqi aircraft from
attacking Muslim Shiite dissidents in the area. Iraq, which sees the
air-exclusion zones as illegal, has been defying allied aircraft
following a four-day bombing campaign by the United States and Britain
in mid-December.

Also Monday, the official Iraqi News Agency reported that a teenage
shepherd was killed and
two others wounded in separate cluster bomb explosions. The cluster
bombs are thought to
date back to the 1991 Persian Gulf War.  Arkan Jalil Aswad, 15, was
killed in the Rumana area, close to the Syrian border, 187 miles west of
Baghdad, the agency said. It did not say when the explosion took place.
Abid Nadir and Hanan Bashir were severely wounded last week when two
bombs exploded in the southern province Nasiriya, 230 miles south of
Baghdad, the agency said.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html