NEWS: Iraq attack bill fails

              BBC

              Friday, April 16, 1999 Published at 17:15 GMT 18:15 UK

              Iraq attack bill fails

              Some MPs are totally opposed to raids on Iraq
              A backbench bill making Parliament's consent
              necessary before fresh air strikes can take place
              against Iraq is has failed to become law.
              The bill, put forward by Labour MP Tam Dalyell,
              aimed to prevent new air strikes against Iraq unless
              two thirds of MPs backed military action.
              The bill failed as it did not receive the Royal Assent.
              Speaking before the his bill's rejection, Mr Dalyell
              said: "I am not going crawling to the Queen. This
              has nothing to do with her."
              But Commons authorities say the bill needed the
              assent of the Queen as the deployment of the UK's
              armed forces is a prerogative power, and this bill
              would impose a significant limitation on the exercise
              of that power.
              The Military Action Against Iraq Parliamentary
              Approval Bill was a response to the UK's
              participation in Operation Desert Fox last year.

              Parliament was only able  to debate the UK's role in
              this military action on 17 December, after air strikes
              had already begun.  Mr Dalyell told BBC News
              Online his bill was "a very simple proposal.
              "If we embark on a war situation, Parliament ought
              to be consulted before the event.

              Had it happened in relation to Iraq I don't think we
              would have got into this situation of bombing oil
              pumping stations and simply strengthening the
              hand of the Saddam Hussein - and on Kosovo we
              would not have started bombing."
              The MP for Linlithgow added: "A number of us
              would have the warned of the dangers and stopped
              us sleepwalking into this impossible situation.
              "Two years ago thousands of people demonstrated
              in Belgrade against President Milosevic and now the
              same people are manning the barricades for him."
              Mr Dalyell is one of the Labour MPs, including
              former Cabinet minister Tony Benn, who have
              joined the recent protests against the Nato air
              attacks on Serbia.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html