Iraq: Build the National Week Against the Sanctions - Important Links

BUILD THE NATIONALLY COORDINATED ACTIONS AGAINST THE US SANCTIONS AND
BOMBING WAR UPON IRAQ

Dear Colleague!

For more than eight years, the US government has been waging a silent
war against the people of Iraq. This month, the US-led sanctions will
kill 4,500 infants and toddlers, according to UNICEF reports. Today,
this policy will kill 250 people in Iraq, as it did yesterday... and as
it will tomorrow.  Since 1991, more than one million people have died
due to the scarcity of food and medicine and the spread of water-borne
diseases - all direct consequences of the sanctions.

During the week of April 25 - May 1, there are three sets of coordinated
initiatives being sponsored by national and local organizations
throughout the United States including the Student Days of Action April
25 to May 1 (http://iraqaction.org/call2action.html) , an April 27
National Day of Action called by such national groups as Peace Action,
American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, War Resisters League and
others (http://iraqaction.org/april27.html) AND a national lobbying
effort scheduled for Washington DC for April 25 - 28 sponsored by
Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC)
(http://leb.net/epic/LobbyDays.html )

We now have nearly 100 actions planned during that time period
(http://iraqaction.org/days.html - Some actions are not yet listed.).
Wouldn't it be great if we can double the number of actions to 200?

Can we count you , your campus, your organization or your community
among those who are ready to stand up and be counted against policies
that are resulting in 250 children dying each day?

Can you please put me in contact with students and organizations at your
campus and in your community who/that are  willing to stand up and raise
their voices against US policies toward the Iraqi people ?

We are two weeks out from the beginning of the days of action.  I have
seen campuses and communities organize tremendously effective events in
some cases on an over night basis.  It is not too late to become part of
these historic initiatives.  Let's turn the tables and move toward the
dismantling of the deadly U.S. policies that are creating so much misery
for the Iraqi people.

Please use the coupon below to commit your organization, campus,
community or yourself TODAY toward doing SOMETHING to bring about an end
to the genocide in Iraq during the week of nationally coordinated
action. Large or small, we urge you to do something.  Even if your
campus or community has not been active, you can start by setting up a
table to collect petition signatures (see below for petition and
literature links) or schedule some video showings (see below for videos
link).

If your organization has held activities on other days but is unable to
organize something during the week of action, we want to know what you
have done and will be doing.  In that case or if you might be able to do
something during the week but need some assistance OR you are unable to
organize for the week of action but are interested in finding out how to
get things started with future activities contact us at
mailto:bwitanek@igc.org .

Many thanks for your consideration.

- Bob Witanek

To those campuses and organizations on board with these activities
already:

We are about 2 weeks out from the beginning of the week of action.  By
now, you should start getting fliers out to your campuses and
communities and press releases out to the media.  If you need assistance
with ANY ASPECT of your effort, please contact us IMMEDIATELY at
mailto:bwitanek@igc.org or (908) 281-7873.  Thank you.

- Bob Witanek

VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT * VISIT

Student Call for April 25 - May 1 Days of Action Against the US
Sanctions and Bombing War on the Iraqi People
http://iraqaction.org/call2action.html  List of campuses already in
motion: http://iraqaction.org/days.html

Three Calls for Action including Student Call April 25 - May 1, National
Peace and Justice organizations unified call April 28 and the EPIC days
of lobbying April 26 - 28. http://iraqaction.org/call2action2.html

For the EPIC days of lobbying April 25 - 28:
http://leb.net/epic/LobbyDays.html

For information about the effort of Pittsburgh activists to use baby
dolls to symbolize the Iraqi children being killed:
http://iraqaction.org/dolls.html

To get general information about the Student Committee of the Iraq
Action Coalition: http://iraqaction.org/students.html

For a directory of campus contacts around the issue of Iraq:
http://iraqaction.org/students4.html

To research the issue of Iraq and find information to develop your own
materials and to link to organizations engaged in the struggle to end
the war on the Iraqi people: http://iraqaction.org

Videos: http://iraqaction.org/videos.html
Speakers: http://iraqaction.org/speakerslist.html
The Million Signature Petition: http://leb.net/epic/petition.html
Ready to use informational fliers: http://iraqaction.org/4activists.html

Let Bob Witanek mailto:bwitanek@igc.org know if you want to be added to
the list serve for the Student Committee of the Iraq Action Coalition.

PLEASE FORWARD TO ANY/ALL APPROPRIATE LIST SERVES, ORGANIZATIONS,
ACTIVISTS AND CONCERNED INDIVIDUAL STUDENTS & FACULTY MEMBERS AT YOURS
AND OTHER CAMPUSES AND TO COMMUNITY ACTIVISTS AND ORGANIZATIONS!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
YES!  OUR ORGANIZATION  WILL SPONSOR AN ACTIVITY (OR ACTIVITIES) AGAINST
THE SANCTIONS WAR ON THE IRAQI PEOPLE DURING THE WEEK OF APRIL 25 - MAY
1, 1999!

Name:
E-MAIL:
Activity:  Teach-in or panel discussion ____ March, rally or
demonstration ____
Vigil _____ Visit / Demo at Congressional Office _____

University / City / State:
Phone / Fax / Snail:

(Please send the above information to Bob Witanek @
mailto:bwitanek@igc.org )

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html