Vandals or sanctions?

>Many ordinary people are prepared to campaign within the limits of the
>law and will even break the law in certain ways but will not support the
>use of vandalism .

I'm not sure that real campaigns work like this. Lots of people
participated in the anti-apartheid movement, CND, and the campaign against
the poll tax, knowing full well that others were committing vandalism
while not being prepared to take part in it themselves. And vandalism
isn't always a turn-off; what about all those respectable quaker ladies
who would go back week after week to cut the wire at missile bases?  In
the case we're discussing, the 'vandalism' was really quite token - almost
like sticking a poster on a bus stop (which is also criminal damage, by
the way).

The important point, I think, is this - even if you wouldn't have done
something in quite the same way, or you have some disagreement with the
methods, which side are you on when there is an arrest?  Sometimes you
decide to support an action PRECISELY BECAUSE you wouldn't have done it
yourself. Out of solidarity with Iraqis, I'm backing the protesters.

As for scaring MPs; I fear that Iraq is never going to make the difference
at an election.

J Vernon

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html