Re: re Letter writing campaign

I've been in contact with MP David Lepper (labour) and MP Des Turner
(labour).
Both were 'concerned' about the suffering, as all politicians claim they
are.
Lepper said "I think there is an argument that despite the sanctions ...
eh....it's the way in which those sanctions have been implemented on
Iraqi side which has
caused many of the problems that people have undoubtedly suffered in
Iraq".
>From Des Turner I got a long heartbreaking story of all the atrocities
Saddam
committed. The (implicit) conclusion was that we must stop this horrible
man, the
means whereby beyond discussion (as usual).It is quite typical for them
to try to
emphasise our noble ends while avoiding discussion whether the used
means serve
those ends or not.

> I would also like to ask: what about other countries?
>Does anybody know whether there are groups in other countries, like
ours, that are aghast at the
> humanitarian disaster?

I happen to be going to Denmark, where I will start up a group, i do not
think
there is one now.
I've been writing to several Danish MP's.The subject is rarely on the
agenda in
the parliament. There is as far as i know no opposition to sanctions or
bombings
in the government, and they seems to support US/UK policy whatever it
is.
However, in the parliament we have a small but energetic left wing
against
sanctions and bombings, but few take them serious :-(
I suspect the situation is similar in the other Scandinavian countries,
like Per argues, which is
a shame, for we are more 'human rights conscious' than most other
countries.

Jens Nielsen

Mark Calderbank wrote:

> Many thanks for your "letter-writing campaign" suggestions.
>
> I already wrote to my MP (Conservative) and did get a reply. It was
the
> usual "it is Saddam Hussein who is depriving the children of food and
> medicine" etc. However, he also wrote: "I do not believe that bombing
alone
> will solve the problems we have in the area". I wonder what else he
has in
> mind - perhaps he doesn't know?!  Maybe WE should try to be more
proactive
> in thinking of alternative scenarios?
>
> I shall write this time to Menzies Campbell. Perhaps there is more
> flexibility in the Lib Dem position? I'd like to find out. I feel they
may
> be less absolutely entrenched in self-created myths than the other two
> parties.
>

> I would also like to ask: what about other countries? I am rather
uneasy
> that other countries, especially those that are traditionally
human-rights
> conscious like Sweden, just don't seem to care. At the government
level, at
> least. But I must confess I don't know for sure. Does anybody know
whether
> there are groups in other countries, like ours, that are aghast at the
> humanitarian disaster? My view is that "coalition" policy will only
change
> if there are serious protests from overseas. Unfortunately, in spite
of
> early indications to the contrary, the British and Americans seem to
have
> got away with it and sensitised the world to bombing Iraq.
>
> Look forward to your views, everyone.
>

> Mark Calderbank

  Smile and make the world happy !

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html