Prime Minister's Question Time

The following exchange took place during Prime Minister's Question Time at
the House of Commons yesterday.  It might be noted that Tam Dalyell has
raised the issue of government policy on Iraq every day for two weeks in
the Commons, usually by requesting a statement from the Foreign Office.

The fact that the Speaker called Tam Dalyell to speak in Prime Minister's
Questions earlier than his place on the Order Paper suggested, suggests
she may have some sympathy with his complaints about lack of information
supplied by the Government to Parliament on this issue?

Mr. Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow): Was it on purpose or by mistake that the oil
pipeline between Iraq and Turkey was hit?

The Prime Minister: I am sorry; I did not hear the first bit of that
question.

Madam Speaker: Nor did I. This is a very noisy House; it ought to be a
little quieter. Mr. Dalyell, let us have your question again.

Mr. Dalyell: Was it on purpose or by mistake that the oil pipeline between
Iraq and Turkey was hit by a missile or bomb?

The Prime Minister: No, it certainly was not on purpose, but we do not yet
even know the extent of the damage, if any. Let me explain to my hon.
Friend again why it is necessary that we police the no-fly zones. In Iraq,
it is necessary in order to protect both the Kurdish people and the Shia
Muslims from the brutality of Saddam Hussein. If he wants to stop those
patrols, he can come back into line with the United Nations resolutions,
stop butchering people for whom he has responsibility, and start behaving
like a responsible leader in the world.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html