Re: IRAQI ECONOMY: DETAILED STUDY

Before sounding off in such a vituperative manner, Mr Houston should take the
trouble to read my message. What I was pointing out about the figures given
in Strunz's book was EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what he is attributing to me.

The percentages I was quoting were for the SHORTFALLS in these commodities,
i.e. in all except barley, the supplies fall more than 50% BELOW what is
needed, and tea and bably milk are almost completely unavailable.

There is too much emotion, hot air and paranoia among some campaigners on this
subject. The case against sanctions is, I believe, an overwhelming one, on
economic, political and above all humanitarian grounds. But it is ill served by
hotheads who prefer slanging matches to reasoned arguments, based on listening
to what others are actually saying, and marshalling solid facts in support of
the case. That is why I recommended Strunz's book, which is a mine of detailed
information of use to us; and that, for Mr Houston's information, is "where I am
coming from".
                                                Geoffrey Roper

                                                Islamic Bibliography Unit
                                                Cambridge University Library
This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html