Re: End Sanctions Proposals

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Glen Rangwala wrote:

> I accept, though, that there are many goods that the Iraqi government has
> not applied for without propmpting from the UN. I think we shouldn't
> be too quick to blame the malevolence of the Iraqi government on this
> score; poor procurement management is inevitable when all decisions on
> what to import for a country of 22 million have to be made by a central
> authority many months in advance. In many ways, the fault lies with SCR986
> para 8(a),which states that 'each export of goods is at the request of
> the Government of Iraq¹. By not giving any power to individual groups or
> organizations within Iraq to make requests for imports, the Security
> Council is setting up a highly centralised scheme under which humanitarian
> goods will inevitably remain unordered.

There is a logical incoherence in this programme of import and
distribution, as formulated by the Security Council resolution, which
could be made more generally known. This would also obviate the necessity
of having to make any claims about the Hussein government's malevolence or
benevolence, or about the efficiency of centralised distribution networks.

Is is not inconsistent with the claims made by the US and UK governments
etc of Saddam Hussein's uncaring attitude to his people, that they should
place powers to make requests for imports exclusively in his hands? This
seems rather inconsistent - why, if he is the evil dictator, the third
antichrist etc, is he to be expected to do what is best for his people,
when the argument so far is precisely that he will not?

I think we accept that he will not, or at least may not - which is the
point of opposing the bombing and the sanctions without supporting Saddam
Hussein's regime.

So if it is true that he is not doing all he could possibly do to make
sanctions easier for the Iraqi people (let us forget for the moment that
the sanctions were not imposed by him), one might be permitted to question
why those who impose sanctions on the country of an evil dictator then
place the means to allegedly make the sanctions more humanitarian in the
hands of that same evil dictator, and blame the evil dictator for not
doing enough to help. This then becomes an excuse for the perpetuation of
sanctions, and the periodic bombing of Iraq.

In this equation, the 'Iraqi people' are completely irrelevant, except
when they appear in various pieces of evidence of the evils of Saddam
Hussein's regime.

Has anyone heard of this paradox being highlighted in the press, or in
campaigns against the sanctions?

Ben Zachariah.