Re: France on sanctions

Can't find the original story on the BBC site. There is a story today
about France's proposals (which doesn't really say what they are), but it's
much more bland and in-character for
the BBC - refers to the sanctions as "oil embargoes" and makes no mention
at all of human suffering. A gross misrepresentation.

As regards WMD, of course our case is not dependent on whether Iraq has
or is in danger of possessing WMD - these extremely harsh sanctions are
totally immoral and are *themselves* WMD. But
personally, just IMO, I remain skeptical of US/British claims of Iraq's
"suspected stockpiles". Also, the alleged ease of production of some very
nasty biological and chemical weapons leads me to despair of any
effective means (not even weapons inspections) of preventing their
production and use, either by states or terrorists, or terrorist states
such as the US and Britain. In quasi-democratic states public outcry can
have a powerful effect, but with non-democracies - only the threat of
retaliation would seem to be effective.

(Incidentally, I believe the British govt.
has now passed a law defining terrorism as membership of a group some
of whose members commit "terrorist" crimes, including violence against
property. This makes anyone belonging to an organisation which pulls up
genetically-modified crops in the belief that they are potentially extremely
hazardous to the environment and to human health, a "terrorist". In
the same vein, "conspiracy" to criminal damage is a crime punishable
with far higher sentences than criminal damage itself. "Conspiracy" seems to
include belonging to a group which commits such activities. Such is the "free
country" in which we live today.)

--
Robin
This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.