"US has *used* weapons of mass destruction" - Zinn

Short statement from Howard Zinn (author of "A People's History of the
United States") on Iraq bombings:

 More analysis of this nature at www.zmag.org - please take a look!

  President Clinton has just told another lie, this
  time not about the relatively trivial matter of
  his sexual activities, but about matters of life
  and death. In explaining his decision to bomb
  Baghdad, he said that other nations besides Iraq
  have weapons of mass destruction, but Iraq alone
  has used them.

  He could only say this to a population deprived
  of history. The United States has supplied
  Turkey, Israel, and Indonesia with such weapons
  and they have used them against civilian
  populations. But the nation most guilty is our
  own. No nation in the world possesses greater
  weapons of mass destruction than we do, and none
  has used them more often, or with greater loss of
  civilian life. In Hiroshima hundreds of thousands
  died, in Korea and Vietnam millions died as a
  result of our use of such weapons.

  Our economic sanctions are also weapons of mass
  destruction, having resulted in the deaths of
  hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children. Saddam
  Hussein may well have weapons of mass
  destruction, he may indeed be inclined to use
  them, but only the United States is actually
  using them, and at this very moment, people are
  dying in Iraq as a result.

  However evil Saddam Hussein is, whatever
  potential danger he may represent, he is not, as
  the president said tonight (telling another lie)
  a "clear and present danger" to the peace of the
  world. We are. And, as the president said, if
  there is a clear and present danger we must act
  against it. It is a time for protest.

  We are living in times of madness, when men in
  suits and ties, and yes, a woman secretary of
  state, can solemnly defend the use, in the
  present, of indiscriminate violence-they do not
  know what they are bombing!-against a tyrant who
  may use violence, in the future. The phrase
  "clear and present danger" has therefore lost its
  meaning. The phrase "weapons of mass destruction"
  too has lost its meaning when a nation which
  possesses more such weapons, and has used them
  more often, than any other, uses those words to
  justify the killing of civilians "to send a
  message." We who are offended by this should send
  our own message to our demented leaders.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html