UDHR 50th Anniversary ACTION

From: David Morgan <dmorgan@web.net>

Hi,
I have received this request from journalist Felicity Arbuthnot that the
below be circulated as widely as possible:

10th December marks the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, the preamble of which reaffirms the
"...recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable
rights of all members of the human family...social progress and better
standards of life..."

The people of Iraq have been denied any semblance of these aspirations by
eight years of embargo.  The highest embargo-related death toll is amongst
the 0-5 year olds

Might I urge any one who feels so inclined to write to Prime Minister
Blair and/or Rresident clinton urging that the embargo (except for
weapons) be lifted, referring to this fiftieth anniversary - ideally,
timed so the letter arrives on 10th december. this initiative has already
been endorsed by many groups and organizations and the aim is to have
bulging mail bags delivered to Dowing Street and the White House on 10th
December.  It just might make christmas come for the children of Iraq too,
this year.

Felicity Arbuthnot

I would like to add that we could also write to UN Secretary-General Kofi
Annan and/or High commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson. United
Nations, UN Plaza, New York, NY 10017 U.S.A.
The Human Rights 24-hour fax hot-line in Geneva is (41-22) 917-0092

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html