Iraq - Robin Cook's smuggling crackdown

interesting extract from the news article below:

|   Cook said Thursday that London was working on new measures to enforce
|   U.N. economic sanctions by more effectively tackling smuggling of
|   Iraqi oil but oil industry sources Friday were skeptical.
|
|   ``Nobody has an interest in cracking down on this in the region
|   because everybody gains something. I doubt whether it can be really
|   effectively monitored anyway,'' said Fadhil Chalabi, director of the
|   London-based Center for Global Energy Studies.

Iraq Defies Clinton, Cohen To Meet French

   By Hassan Hafidh

   BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq stood firm Friday in the face of a verbal
   broadside from President Clinton and a unanimous U.N. Security Council
   resolution condemning Baghdad's decision to halt cooperation with arms
   inspectors.

   Defense Secretary William Cohen Friday wound up a crisis mission to
   the Middle East, in which he drummed up Arab support for Washington's
   anti-Baghdad alliance, with a fresh call for Iraqi leader Saddam
   Hussein to back off.

   ``We're hoping that Saddam will take action to reconsider his flagrant
   violation of the Security Council resolutions and his agreement with
   Secretary-General Kofi Annan,'' Cohen said on the last leg of his
   trip, to the Turkish capital of Ankara.

   But British diplomatic sources said Western use of force is at least
   two weeks away as British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook prefers to try
   for a diplomatic way to persuade Saddam to resume cooperation with
   weapons inspectors.

   Cohen left Turkey for Paris where he will hold brief talks with French
   officials Friday night.

   Clinton said Saddam's decision to suspend cooperation with U.N.
   inspectors searching for banned weapons was ``totally unacceptable''
   and that inspections must resume immediately.

   Clinton fired his broadside Thursday after the Security Council
   condemned Iraq's violation by a unanimous 15-0 and once more said all
   options were open to gain compliance -- a deliberate reference to
   possible military strikes.

   Iraq was unfazed. Its official press said millions of Iraqis were
   training to thwart any possible punitive attack.

   Britain said shortly after the vote that the Security Council had
   legal justification to use force against Iraq if Baghdad failed to
   cooperate. Iraq responded bitterly.

   ``America and Britain have imposed a new resolution in order to
   inflict more harm against the Iraqi people and to prolong the unjust
   embargo,'' Abdul-Ghani Abdul-Ghafur, senior member of the regional
   command of the ruling Baath party, said Friday.

   Iraq suspended cooperation last Saturday until the Security Council
   reviewed sanctions imposed for its 1990 Kuwait invasion.

   ``Iraq will not retreat from its decision unless there is a clear
   response (from the Security Council) to Iraq's legitimate demand to
   lift the unjust embargo,'' said Abdul-Ghafur.

   Cohen said he had found Gulf Arab states ``united in their
   condemnation'' of Saddam. ``We believe we will have the support we
   need, and all options are on the table,'' Clinton told reporters in
   Washington after Cohen reported back.

   Cohen held talks Friday with Turkish President Suleyman Demirel and
   his Defense Minister Ismet Sezgin.

   ``There is complete agreement on the part of the president and
   minister of defense. There is no separation of our opinion about the
   need for (Iraq) to fully comply,'' Cohen said.

   A statement from Demirel's office backed him up.

   ``We desire the problem to be solved with Iraq's compliance to the
   letter with Security Council resolutions...and that we were on the
   side of all the possibilities of diplomacy being used to this end,''
   Demirel said in the statement.

   Cohen said he had not asked for the use of a joint air base in
   southern Turkey should the Iraqi tension come to blows. ``We did not
   discuss bases or any specifics,'' he said.

   In round-the-clock diplomacy during the week, the United States and
   its allies have referred repeatedly to the possible use of military
   strikes. Analysts say this could come as a long-range missile strike
   instead of a costly military build up.

   Clinton said Thursday he was dispatching National Security Adviser
   Sandy Berger to Europe this weekend to consult with allies ``on
   appropriate next steps.''

   Britain announced Thursday it would send a mission hard on the heels
   of the Cohen trip which took him to Egypt, Jordan and six Arab Gulf
   states.

   Britain's Defense Secretary George Robertson would visit Kuwait Sunday
   and would fly to Bahrain Monday. Cook could possibly visit Saudi
   Arabia at around the same time, Western officials said.

   Cook said Thursday that London was working on new measures to enforce
   U.N. economic sanctions by more effectively tackling smuggling of
   Iraqi oil but oil industry sources Friday were skeptical.

   ``Nobody has an interest in cracking down on this in the region
   because everybody gains something. I doubt whether it can be really
   effectively monitored anyway,'' said Fadhil Chalabi, director of the
   London-based Center for Global Energy Studies.

   As the crisis unfolded, diplomatic analysts noted the mood was
   strikingly different from the last major standoff in February.

   France and Russia, which often act as Baghdad's lawyers on the
   Security Council and helped avert U.S. military action early this
   year, are openly fed up with Saddam's defiance and refusal to follow
   their advice.

   But Russia Friday reaffirmed its opposition to the use of force.

   ``We are firmly convinced that any attempts to resolve the problem by
   force are pointless, because they will only undermine U.N. efforts to
   establish effective control over banned military activity in Iraq,''
   the Russian foreign ministry said in a statement.

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html