---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "J. Vernon" <jv205@hermes.cam.ac.uk>

Dear X,
  As a group of students concerned on humanitarian grounds about the
escalating international situation relating to Iraq, we are approaching a
number of senior and respected academics within Cambridge to gauge the
possibility of sending a well-supported letter to the national press
opposing military action against Iraq.
  We believe that military action against Iraq would inevitably have a
deleterious impact on the civilian population of Iraq, who are already
suffering the effects of sanctions. (This need not be an issue raised in
any letter to the press). We represent no particular Iraqi or Western
alignment, but we see no reason why the people of Iraq should be made to
suffer at the hands of the British government. We are concerned that
action is being taken without a UN mandate and without full agreement in
the international community. We see no overwhelming reason for external
powers to intervene in the affairs of Iraq as compared to those of other
powers.
  Please consider endorsing this position and contact us as soon as
possible. We feel that your support would be extremely valuable.
  Yours sincerely,

        Jeff Vernon,
        Barnita Bagchi,
        Rachel Foxley,
        Sulagna Roy,
        Ben Zachariah
        Johanna Buisson,
        Andy Kuper

        Trinity College

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html