The purpose of War

Amongst all the debate surrounding the pros and cons of military action
against Iraq/the Iraqi people, I found one view that really crystalized
the issue. This was expressed by Paul Foot in his article in The
Gaurdian(monday 9 February). We can not be sure that bombing Iraq will
succeed in destroying the weapons that Saddam Hussein may be hiding.
"Killing thousands of children and other civilians is the only certain
consequence of the bombing of iraq by British and US warplanes".

Those who support military action really have to ask themselves what the
purpose of this war or any other is, and whether a short-term political
objective justifies the price that will most certainly be paid in terms of
human lives and suffering.

Selwa Calderbank
Trinity Hall
Cambridge

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html