Re: Iraq

Dear All

Thanks to Alan for injecting some sense into all this.  Saddam is a bad
man with weopons of such a nature that they do pose a threat to nations
nextdoor and ones who have taken a stand against him in the past.  The US
and UK benefit from cheap oil far more than from a beligerent nation and
increased oil prices.  On the other hand, Clinton is a bad man too and
ethical necessity alone has not not taken us into any war that I can think
of.  The question is: will the airstrikes reduce the liklihood that Saddam
will use his weopons or act as a deterent against future (unfriendly)
dictators acquiring such weopons?  Here I'm not sure:  we don't know where
these weopons are and chemicals are easy to hide.  So what do we
airstrike?  It might be that we can be sure of destroying enough plants
to remove the threat - if so, good.  If not, as a tentative solution
(e-mail to Bill + Tony), why not leave Saddam alone and threaten to nuke
him if he uses any of his NBC weopons?  Nicholas Soames said that he
thought we would if Saddam did, so to speak, anyway.  Unfortunately, wars
make good TV so we'll get one.  Clinton needs the distraction and Blair
needs the Sun.

yours

Tim Viles