The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] Mark Danner on the Real Iraqi Election

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

a project of the Nation Institute
---------------------------------

To send this to a friend, or to read more dispatches, go to tomdispatch.com
Tomgram: Mark Danner on the Real Iraqi Election
Last December, Mark Danner took a piercing look back at our Presidential election in Florida, "How
Bush Really Won," printed up in the New York Review of Books and posted on line at Tomdispatch. In
the aftermath of another election, closely linked to our own and to the well being of our
President, Danner returns to the (post-)campaign trail -- this time in Baghdad. What follows, I
feel certain, is the single clearest-eyed, best reported piece to date on Iraq's January election,
whose end game is only now being played out in the installation of an ethnically and religiously
divided, exceedingly weak Iraqi government. It will "rule" a riven, occupied country facing an
explosive and resilient insurgency as well as independently controlled Shiite and Kurdish militias,
and it will do so from inside Ba! ghdad's Green Zone; in other words, from within what is
essentially a vast American military encampment.

I've seen no other piece that gives a more powerful sense of America's Baghdad as it exists today,
of what exactly the election meant, of the degree to which it was fought out in the media as much
before an American as an Iraqi audience, and of why the lack of Sunni voter turnout is sure to
prove such a disabling factor in Iraq's future. As of this week, after two months of
behind-the-scenes brokering, there will officially be an elected government in Iraq, but, as
Gertrude Stein once said of Oakland, California, there may, in fact, be no there, there.

By the way, Mark Danner's new book, Torture and Truth: America, Abu Ghraib, and the War on Terror,
is a chilling document that does much to explain the nature of the fix the Bush administration now
finds itself in; but whatever you do, don't miss his election essay which is being distributed
on-line by Tomdispatch thanks to the kindness of the editors of the New York Review of Books. It
appears in the April 28th issue of that magazine. Tom

Iraq: The Real Election

By Mark Danner

1.

"The essence of any insurgency, and its most decisive battle space, is the psychological. [It's]
armed theater: you have protagonists on the stage but they're sending messages to wider audiences.
Insurgency is about perceptions, beliefs, expectations, legitimacy, and will. Insurgency is not won
by killing insurgents, not won by seizing territory; it's won by altering the psychological factors
that are most relevant."[1]

Click here to read more of this dispatch.

---]

Feel Free to Cut + Paste this From: http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com
A Website for Seekers of Truth About Z***ism, 10 Links at:
   http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/zionism/index.cfm
$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$
  Do you Have Fun Playing the Victim? Just Substitute
 "Al-Qaeda" for "Anti-Semites" and everything becomes Much Clearer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Theodor Herzel, The founder of modern Z***ism stated in his diary:
 -“It is essential that the sufferings of Jews become worse,- this will
 assist in realization of our plans. -I have an excellent idea.-
 I shall induce anti-Semites to liquidate Jewish wealth.
 The anti-Semites will assist us thereby in that they will
 strengthen the persecution and oppression of Jews.
            The Anti-Semites shall be our Best Friends”.
                   (From his Diary,Part I,p.16)

"Every time anyone says that Israel is our only friend
in the Middle East, I can't help but think that before Israel,
we had no enemies in the Middle East."  John Sheehan, S.J.