The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] US troops causing Iraqi civilian casualties

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

I guess most people are aware of the recent BBC reports regarding if US troops are causing more
civilian deaths than the insurgeants.  And the backtracking as well.

Of course such figures wouldnt actually adjust for any possible black-ops by the reformed
Mukhabarat, performing terrorist attacks that are blamed on opponents.  Unfortunately this is
primer 1 lesson for such organisations to garner support and mould public opinion in the direction
they desire.

However, most of you are probably aware of the story, sub media almost, of the parents of an Iraqi
family being shot by American troops in their car.  This was caught on camera by a press agency
reporter.

I have made a tinyurl link of a database search of some images that are available.
http://tinyurl.com/5m3dq - I hope it works.
You will notice that the photographer has being busy snapping throughout the whole episode from the
very beginning (ie before or as shots were fired) all the way to the hospital.  The pictures,
although distressing, shouldnt prove too gory for any one to view.

I am always very suspicious of the way news is created and the processes that would let a
photographer to be present at such an incident.

So if you do look at these images perhaps bear in mind that the photographer is also an actor in
this incident.