The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

RE: [casi-analysis] food and aid - a rant

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Thanks Daniel for yout 'rant'. Also, see:
Iraq's new patent law: A declaration of war against farmers

October 17, 2004 -- CropChoice news -- GRAIN, Oct. 2004: When former Coalition
Provisional Authority (CPA) administrator L. Paul Bremer III left Baghdad
after the so-called "transfer of sovereignty" in June 2004, he left behind the
100 orders he enacted as chief of the occupation authority in Iraq. Among them
is Order 81 on "Patent, Industrial Design, Undisclosed Information, Integrated
Circuits and Plant Variety."[1] This order amends Iraq's original patent law
of 1970 and unless it is revised or repealed by a new Iraqi government, it has
the status and force of a binding law.[2]....
 The seeds farmers are now allowed to plant -- "protected" crop varieties
brought into Iraq by transnational corporations in the name of agricultural
reconstruction -- will be the property of the corporations. While historically
the Iraqi constitution prohibited private ownership of biological resources,
the new US-imposed patent law introduces a system of monopoly rights over
seeds.

http://www.newfarm.org/international/gleanings/oct04/ir_patent-law.shtml

Philippa Winkler

http://wwww.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/480fa8736b88bbc3c12564f6004c8ad5/4f563683f9e1b37ac1256f63002eda8a?OpenDocument