The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] comment to BBC on reported read of M. Hassan

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear Colleagues:

    Just sent this comment to BBC  on the reported death of Margaret Hassan to. Since they likely
won't
print it, I'm sending a copy  to CASI for your  comments and suggestions.

If to the great loss to humankind, Margaret Hassan is indeed dead, a great deal of  vital truth may
 have  died with her.

Who benefits? Are we not morally obligated to ask this question?

  Margaret Hassan in long interview with me in 2002  said that the one of the main reasons that the
water system of Iraq had not been rehabilitated as of 2002 was that Iraq was not permitted by the
US dominate UN to inspect water purification equipment before paying for it. Further almost all
such shipments that got through despite US  and UK blocks and holds were worthless due to
substandard quality.

   Let us mourn this splendid humanitarian if she has indeed been killed by investigating her
charges (particularly since the U.S. Senate's Coleman Committee is spinning an entirely different
yarn).

Prof. Thomas J. Nagy
Washington, D.C. USA