The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] downing street response to lancet report

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

The correct way to debunk work published in a peer reviewed
journal is to write an article criticising the work and
send it to the journal for publication.

Quoting Daniel O'Huiginn <do227@hermes.cam.ac.uk>:

> [ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis
mailing list ]

> Here's the response to the Lancet (100,000 excess deaths)
report from the
> Prime Minister's spokesman. Anyone want to debunk it?:
>
> ***
> Asked if the Prime Minister was concerned about a survey
published today
> suggesting that 100,000 Iraqi civilians had died as a
result of the war in
> Iraq, the PMOS said that it was important to treat the
figures with
> caution because there were a number of concerns and
doubts about the
> methodology that had been used.  Firstly, the survey
appeared to be based
> on an extrapolation technique rather than a detailed body
count.  Our
> worries centred on the fact that the technique in
question appeared to
> treat Iraq as if every area was one and the same.  In
terms of the level
> of conflict, that was definitely not the case.  Secondly,
the survey
> appeared to assume that bombing had taken place
throughout Iraq.  Again,
> that was not true.  It had been focussed primarily on
areas such as
> Fallujah.  Consequently, we did not believe that
extrapolation was an
> appropriate technique to use.
> ***
>
> Some quick thoughts:
>
> a) "it was important to treat the figures with
> caution because there were a number of concerns and
doubts about the
> methodology that had been used." But do they deny that
these are the best
> figures we have so far. Or another angle: has the
government put together
> better figures? If not, why don't they care about
casualty figures?

> b) "the survey appeared to be based on an extrapolation
technique rather
> than a detailed body count." Said as if it is a bad
thing. In Iraq, where
> there are so many no-go areas, it would be impossible to
count every
> casualty. Attempts to do so, like Iraq Body Count,
underestimate because
> the areas where people are being killed are the same
areas journalists
> don't dare go.
>
> c) "In terms of the level of conflict, that was
definitely not the case."
> In fact, the figure of 100,000 deaths *excludes* the area
where conflict
> was most intense, namely Fallujah. They did collect
figures for Fallujah
> which were much higher than for the other areas sampled.
So they excluded
> the Fallujah figures from their extrapolations. If you
include them -
> which is what the PMOS implies the problem is - you get a
figure of (if I
> remember correctly) 200,000 excess deaths. So Garfield et
al were being
> extremely cautious.
>
> d) "the survey appeared to assume that bombing had taken
place throughout
> Iraq.  Again, that was not true.  It had been focussed
primarily on areas
> such as Fallujah." Given the exclusion of Fallujah
mentioned above, this
> is completely misleading. Or is the PMOS claiming that
*all* 33 areas
> surveyed suffered significantly higher bombing than the
rest of Iraq?  If

http://image.thelancet.com/extras/04art10342web.pdf
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page6535.asp