The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] re: 1. Baghdad Bulletin - a reply (Mike Lewis)

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

To pick up on a number of points here.

>-the Baghdad Bulletin team share printer with the US administration - not
>true at all. In fact the American administration was on more hostile than
>friendly terms with the Baghdad Bulletin staff.

I don't know which printer Baghdad Bulletin were using, but the US were using local Iraqi printers
to print their first new laws, banning guns and the Ba'ath party.  Which is almost amusing in
hindsight.  I know because I went to the printers with one of the Al Muajaha journalists who were
trying to get their paper out and found it held up by the mass production of this publication.

>The Baghdad Bulletin has now been forced to close down as security became
>incontrolable and one of the papers contributers, Richard Wild was shot.

The paper did not shut down until some time after Richard's death, who was in fact a TV cameraman,
I'm not sure what he contributed to the Baghdad Bulletin, he had only been there ten days.  They
did run an obituary.

>- The Baghdad Bulletin staff are not listening to the Iraqi's or letting
>them express themselves - When in fact half of the staff were Iraqi, and
>the paper was printed both in English and Arabic.

The Baghdad Bulletin was never in English and Arabic, Al Muajaha was the only bi lingual paper
produced at that time.

>-the Baghdad Bulletin team are there to eanr 'a bit of dosh'- in fact the
>team paid for every issue of the paper from money each and every writer had
>saved up.

Hmm, I understood they recieved something between $25 - 50,000 to get started.   And were paid for
the work they did.  In comparison Al Muajaha, an iragi run independent newspaper, recieved about
$10,000 for various donations. This newspaper had editorial support from Ramzi Kysia, an arab
american who had been part of voices in the wilderness.  They recieved no salary at all, which soon
became unfeasable for peole who really wanted to work on the paper full time.

Al Muajaha collapsed through a lack of funds and expertise.  It was offered financial support from
the CPA which was refused as it would have meant publishing US press releases and handing the
finished copy over the CPA to be taken to the printers.  It could have done with an experienced
editor to take control from the beginning.  Although Al Muajaha people still have the equipment and
the intention to relaunch at some point.. perhaps with funding and expert help.  I doubt that will
happen with the Baghdad Bulletin.

I made a documentary about the struggles of Al Muajaha, and remember all the frustrations about the
lack of funding.  You can see it profiled here.

http://www.journeyman.tv/?lid=12363

I don't ever see a case for removing people's opinion, it is always that and freedom of expression
is an important element of debate.