The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] sorry, or, "I told him that I was sorry"

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

When Bush gave his 03 State of the Union he used a rhetorical tool to lie.  I
am not a linguist but am wondering if there is difference between his
comments yesterday with the King of Jordan.  He did not say he was sorry for/to the
Iraqi people regarding to the conduct of the troops, he said, "I told the King
of Jordan that...."

I am wondering, whether this has some significance from a legal perspective
or political perspective, or is this a pshychological quirk where Bush simply
cannot admit anything or say directly that his is sorry.  (not that I think
that his apology would be worth anything to anyone but a true believer anyway)

Either way it makes little sense to me that he would apologize, sorta, to
Jordan when of course the wrong done, well over a million wrongs have been done
the people of Iraq by the US/uk.

Anyone, Bueller, anyone?

Roger Stroope
Flagstaff  USA
Northern Arizona University
Graduate Student- Anthropology

"Why should we hear about body bags and deaths," Barbara Bush said on ABC's
"Good Morning America" on March 18, 2003. "Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So
why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"