The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] The UN Trojan Horse

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear Roger

Hope you're doing well. Thank you for your email.

In the absence of elections, in any handpicking procedure, whether done by the US or UN, all groups
will feel they have been under-represented. Therefore, the only way to get past that is to stick to
the agreed percentages of Salahuldin, since these are the only percentages that the Iraqi political
groups have ever agreed upon. Brahimi has made it clear he is opposed to this. Furthermore, his
entire trip was a joke - first most of the Shia, on the GC and outside, opposed him even coming in
and it was the US who forced it upon them. Then he is supposed to have met hundreds of Iraqis, when
the truth is he saw his mate Pachachi, stayed at his house most of the time and met with his people.

I refer you to the IPO New Analysis of January 20, 2004: http://www.iprospect.org.uk/na20jan.html

>Whats more some of these individuals have not been in the country for decades and likely have
>little or no backing within
>Iraq

That's interesting, you obviously haven't seen the polls done by the BBC and ABC which showed
Ibrahim Jafari of the Dawa party, who is an IGC member, toping the poll (as he seems to have done
in most polls). also on there are the Kurdish leaders and Hakim - all IGC members. in fact, other
than Sistani, none of the highest scoring candidates were not on the IGC.

I agree that there are many on the IGC that do not represent anyone other than themselves, and many
outside the IGC who represent many people - which is why we support the idea of expanding the
council to be more inclusive.

Best wishes
Yasser