The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] rewriting history (2)

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear all,
the US disinformation is spreading. They are really working on the discrediting of the UN. And of
course there may have been corruption. If you would have been forced into this situation (like the
Iraqi government), would you not have tried to find ways out? The main question remains: who
installed this inhumane system? It was the US/UK who forced the UN into this morbid oil-for-food
program, and blocked so many contracts or put them on hold. But of course no questions will be
asked by the so called "independent" investigators about the root of this system and the
devastating effects on the Iraqi population. The suffering of the Iraqi people will be attributed
to so-called "UN corruption".

I think that is our task as anti-sanctions activists. I've been talking with the organisers of the
WTI (World Tribunal On Iraq). They think that at least one session of the WTI should be dedicated
to the sanctions. But who wants to organise such a colloquim (or hearing, or commission of
inquiry)? There is enough evidence and data about the effects of sanctions. And because CASI had
the most elaborated website and discussion forum to investigate the sanctions, my proposal would be
for CASI to organise such an event, in cooperation with other anti-sanctiongroups around the globe
(Voices, Epic,...). I think it is a necessary thing to do. And a new counter-dossier should be
written, as Rania and I suggested.

We must do something. The genocide on the Iraqi people should not be forgotten. Any constructive
ideas about this?

Greetings.
Dirk Adriaensens.

      Volcker to Head Investigation of U.N.'s Iraq Oil-for-Food Program (2004-04-21)
      http://www.uspolicy.be/Article.asp?ID=63071F88-C825-4140-AE65-11B9AFDAB3DC

      By Judy Aita
      Washington File United Nations Correspondent

      United Nations -- Secretary-General Kofi Annan announced April 21 the appointment of former
U.S. Federal Reserve System Chairman Paul Volcker to head an independent panel to investigate
allegations of mismanagement in the Oil-for-Food Program, and the U.N. Security Council unanimously
backed his decision with a resolution calling for full cooperation from all involved.

      The panel will have the authority to investigate whether the procedures established by the
United Nations for the administration and management of the Oil-for-Food Program were violated;
determine whether any U.N. officials, personnel, agents or contractors engaged in any illicit or
corrupt activities while on the job; and ascertain whether the accounts of the program were in
order and were maintained in accordance with U.N. rules and regulations.

      Other members of the panel are Justice Richard Goldstone of South Africa, who was the first
chief prosecutor of the U.N. International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda,
and Mark Pieth of Switzerland, a University of Baselwith professor of criminal law and criminology
with expertise in international bribery and money-laundering.

      Volcker was chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System from 1979 to
1987.  After his term as chairman ended, Volcker returned to private life joining an
investment-banking firm.  He recently headed a private commission on public service, which has
recommended a sweeping overhaul of the organization and personnel practices of the U.S. federal
government.  He also chairs the International Accounting Standards Committee, which works toward
converging accounting standards internationally.

      "I didn't agree to do this lightly," Volcker said April 21 at a press conference after his
appointment was announced. "I think there are very important accusations made about the U.N.,
accusations about the administration of the program, accusations about activities outside the U.N.
which need to be resolved."

      "The U.N. is an important institution and these questions once raised have to have a
deliberate and full investigation and an answer so that the U.N., in fact, can fulfill its
responsibilities . . . and contribute to the situation not only in Iraq but situations that are
bound to come along in the rest of the world," Volcker said.

      The secretary-general decided to launch the independent investigation in March after news
media around the world reported allegations of fraud and corruption in the program, including
overpricing and kickbacks to U.N. officials and high-ranking members of Saddam Hussein's regime in
order to secure contracts. Under Secretary-General Benon Sevan, who headed the program, has been
mentioned in news reports as being involved in the scheme to skim billions of dollars from the
program, which was established to aid Iraqi civilians hurt by sanctions.

      Announcing the panel, Annan said that "obviously these are serious allegations which we take
seriously, and this is why we've put together a very serious group to investigate it. The
organization will take whatever steps may be appropriate to address the issues raised by the
inquiry. We have assembled a group of respected individuals that I hope will complete its work as
soon as practicable."

      "As to the impact on our activities in Iraq, I hope the Iraqis realize that even if there
have been wrongdoings by certain members on the U.N. staff, the U.N. as a whole did make a genuine
effort to fill in their humanitarian needs," the secretary-general said.

      "There were hundreds of U.N. staff who worked very hard and diligently to establish the food
distribution system and ensure that supplies did go in and, I think, that positive aspect of it
should not be overlooked either," Annan said.

      Under the Oil-for-Food Program, which was mandated by the Security Council in April 1995 but
didn't become operational until December 1996, Iraq was allowed to sell oil to buy humanitarian
goods under U.N. supervision in order to ease the impact of the sanctions imposed in 1990 after the
invasion of Kuwait.

      Volcker and Annan asked the council for a resolution in order to give the investigation
political authority with governments, some of which will have officials and companies investigated.

      "I wanted the resolution to make sure that member governments knew what they were getting
into," Volcker said.

      He added that the U.N. Security Council resolution gives the investigation the foundation it
needs. "I said if we are going to do this . . . we needed formal support of the U.N. and its member
governments -- which would include their agencies and regulatory bodies -- to assist in any way
appropriate."

      "We are ... not the official agency of any government. I don't have the police powers that
come naturally to a government. You've got to conduct the investigation with the people who have
that authority," the chairman said about the difficulty the panel and its staff will have.

      Volcker said that his "most urgent, but not the easiest" task will be to investigate the
specific allegations of corruption within the United Nations. That may include investigating the
individual contractors who provided the humanitarian supplies for the program. "I interpret [the
mandate] to mean following the money as well as one can," he said.

      The panel's first status report to the secretary-general is due in three months, but Volcker
said that the investigation will not be completed by that time.

      "I have no interest in prolonging this. We'll go as fast as we can consistent in doing a
thorough job," he said. "But it won't be three months, I am convinced of that."

      In its resolution, the Security Council expressed its desire "to see a full and fair
investigation of efforts by the former Government of Iraq, including through bribery, kickbacks,
surcharges on oil sales, and illicit payments in regards to purchases of humanitarian goods to
evade the provisions" of Security Council resolutions.

      "Affirming that any illicit activity by United Nations officials, personnel and agents, as
well as contractors . . . is unacceptable," the resolution said, the council "calls upon the
Coalition Provisional Authority, Iraq, and all other member states, including their national
regulatory authorities, to cooperate fully by all appropriate means with the inquiry."