The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] Seeking some assistence

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Security permitting I intend to visit Iraq next week for a personal project tentatively entitled
"Local Communities and Mass Graves in Iraq"
Whether it goes ahead will depend on
a) safety
b) ability to travel around the country
c) obtaining translation and car services within my limited personal budget.

What I do with results I get I am unsure, I will possibly try indymedia.  Given most people here
are satisfied with the "grieving relatives rushing to exhume loved ones as soon as the threat of
Baathist thugs was removed" paradigm I suspect it will not be of interest to many people here.

Nevertheless any assistence in the following what be appreciated.

1) I have been trying to get a copy of a news story from Chicago Tribune Dec 22 2003, it comes up
on google but clicking on the link comes up with an error nor can it actually be found on the
Chicago Tribune website itself.  It concerns one Ahmed Hassan, a farmer near Mahawhil, who
maintains a notebook of people coming to collect "loved ones" from Mahawil grave site in the months
after the initial exhumation.  Someone who I would be interested in meeting.  I have looked on casi
and electronic iraq websites to no avail - does anyone know of any other archives it might be found
on.
A quote
"justice. In the town of Mahawil, 60 miles south of Baghdad, farmer
Ahmed Hassan maintains a notebook that bespeaks a hideous crime. He has a log of more than 2,000
bodies, started on the day last spring when carloads
of frantic Iraqis began arriving at a marshy plot not far from his home to search for loved ones in
one of Iraq's largest mass grave"

2)
Some discussion late last year saw a general consensus that CPA had finally appointed official
investigators that would properly examined and exhume Iraqi mass graves (on what basis I am not
sure). Does anyone know if this had lead to any results? Does anyone know how this office might be
contacted in Baghdad?  Attempts to contact the CPA have so far been unsuccessful.  Does anyone know
of any official contacts in Baghdad that might give assistence and would have up to date
information on the number and records of mass grave exhumations and human rights abuses?  Or any
NGOs such AI or HRW or others currently with offices in Baghdad.

Thanks
Tom Young

PS I would also love to visit one of the two Saddam Husseins, either in jail or wherever he is
holidaying.  But I guess we cant hope for too much in this world.  Off Topic but for those
interested here is my take on the "killing" of Sheikh Yassin in Gaza (no surprises on my position)
http://beirut.indymedia.org/ar/2004/03/1043.shtml