The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] UN probe of Oil-For-Food ...??

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

1- The Grand Ayatollah Ali Husseini al Sistani wants the UN to play a role
to minimize the role of the US in running Iraq. Sistani probably thinks that
the UN is a lesser evil than the US. I am sure that Sistani wants to replace
the US forces but the question with what? the Iraqi army? (Non existent),
Militias (at least 2 Shiite, Badder and Al-Mahdi, at least 2 Sunnis, Mohamed
and Al-Sahaba, and at least 2 Kurdish militia's). They are too fragmented
and aligned to political parties to make them a unifying force. Multilateral
force will be under the US thumb and that will make them unacceptable. So
the UN will be the only choice left. Sistani's wishes are only making life
difficult and frustrating for the US policy makers. His policy, going to the
UN, might bring back the important role of France Russia..etc into the Iraqi
equation.

2-  Annan to Probe UN in Iraq: I think that might help clearing the name of
the UN, and probably Saddam, of wrong doing. Owing to the quality of Iraqi
oil it is in demand world wide. Buyers were waiting, in queue, to sign
contracts to lift oil from Iraq. Some companies were not interested in
waiting, some are not interested in negotiations, some are not interested in
sending their people to Iraq. These companies found out that there are
people who could jump the queue to get the oil.  These “commodity traders”
would facilitate the purchase of the Iraqi oil at the UN acceptable price.
In fact the contract is signed by the oil company that used these “commodity
traders”. The oil companies pay for the oil to the UN account. Oil companies
pay to the “commodity traders” for services. As far as I know there is NO
contract between the “commodity traders” and the government of Iraq. The
only paper that might exist is the “jump the queue” order. These type of
activities are happening in real trade thousand of times each day for
“facilitating” business activities. One interesting point I think most of
the oil that was sold by these “commodity traders” was bought by American
oil companies, which might have been resold again for profit. This is
business!

3- The US & UK failed to convince the world about the non-existent WMD. They
failed to convince the world of the promised security, to Iraqis and the
world. They failed to show any visible reconstruction efforts over the last
year. In short they failed in every aspect. Hitting “Saddam” is the best,
and the only, option they have to cover-up for the corruption,
miss-management, kickback, bribes…  They give the people the chance to hit
Saddam rather than hitting Halliburton and other US robbers. Hitting Saddam
might give them another reason why they waged war on Iraq.

Best regards
Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, occupied Iraq