The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

[casi-analysis] Chemical weapons find claim

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear list,
Reports have come out today that dozens of mortar shells in southern Iraq have been found by Danish
forces "Which could contain chemical weapons according to inital tests" according to the BBC. The
story goes on to say that the shells have been buried for at least ten years, and were probably
left over from the Iran-Iraq war. The shells also "showed traces of blister gases, a group of
chemical compounds which include mustard gas." These reports are at this stage sketchy and
conclusions are awaiting final tests, the results of which won't be known for a couple of days.

This finding is not dramatic at all, but does anyone know anything about the "shelf life" of these
chemical compounds. For instance, would they still be usable? The Danish army has said "most were
wrapped in plastic bags, and some were leaking," and they don't appear to have been in any usable
state, but I'm not well informed on this. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would
greatly appreciate this, I doubt very much if this is a "smoking gun," but I just want to get the
right information.
thanks,
Peter Kiernan